Rootsie Homepage | Weblog | Tracey | Ayanna | Reasoning Forum | AmonHotep
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:44:53 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Rootsie
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  Quotes (Moderator: Rootsie)
| | |-+  Matters of the Soul
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Matters of the Soul  (Read 6145 times)
Tracey
Tracey

Rootsie.com

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2006, 01:28:59 PM »

"Kye`re` had abandoned any notion of external aesthetics, but one could see beneath the surface of his wasted body a spirit far more beautiful than any representation of the divine. The experience of such a spirit made me disregard the ugliness of his body as something superfluous to the expression of beauty, integrity, honesty, and genuine life that glowed all around him."

"The priest of the earth shrine reminded me of Grandfather, and made me understand why the wise pay little attention to their bodies. In their world dirt has no negative effect on life because they have no concept of its being evil. These earth people live like Mother Earth - their cleanliness is in their spirits. I wondered if those who spend their lives obsessed with looking beautiful are not fighting to cover up something ugly deep within. Our shallow appreciation of outward beauty might be more a confused reaction to the memory of true beauty than an actual encounter with it. In that case the beauty that exists on the outside of a person would serve only as a reminder to us of the beauty of the spirit behind it. These elders had long ago understood this and chose to focus their energies where they really count - matters of the soul. "

- Malidoma Patrice Some`
   author:  "Of Water and Spirit"
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length