Rootsie Homepage | Weblog | Tracey | Ayanna | Reasoning Forum | AmonHotep
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 09:53:54 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Rootsie
|-+  HISTORY
| |-+  Historical Perspectives (Moderator: Rootsie)
| | |-+  British Israelism
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: British Israelism  (Read 18330 times)
three_sixty

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2005, 05:51:50 PM »

William Blake

Jerusalem
Poem lyrics of Jerusalem by William Blake.

And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountains green?
And was the holy Lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen?

And did the Countenance Divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among these dark Satanic mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold:
Bring me my arrows of desire:
Bring me my spear: O clouds unfold!
Bring me my chariot of fire.

I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land.
three_sixty

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 05:54:22 PM »

full article: http://www.seekgod.ca/identity.htm

A Little “Identity” Crisis ~ British Israelism

1 John 2:9,10

“He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now."

"He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him.”

Charles  Parham repeatedly taught many sermons including, “Anglo-Israel— Where are the lost tribes and the scepter of David.” 43 which Frank Sandford, as well as Parham's close friend and mentor, J.H. Allen also taught.  J.H.Allen records he met Parham “when he was a young preacher and unmarried”—i.e. before Dec. 31, 1891—“ He then being pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Eudora, Kan. [started there at 19] at which time I was holding the Blue Mound Holiness Camp Meeting.” Parham and his group attended Allen’s meeting where Allen had announced previously that he, “…would preach on our Anglo-Saxon identity with the house of Joseph of "the ten lost tribes of Israel."  44

J.H. Allen wrote the book “Judah’s Sceptre and Joseph’s Birthright” which is the exact same source of theology for Herbert W. Armstrongs teachings on Anglo/British Israelism, which is described clearly on the World Wide Church of God (WWCG) website:

[Armstrong]…believed Anglo-Israelism -- the doctrine that the Anglo-Saxons of the United States and Britain were the true descendants of the House of Israel, while the Jews descended from Israel's other division, the House of Judah -- provided the key to understanding the prophets. He concluded that instead of applying the House of Israel prophecies to the Jews, one should apply them to the United States and what was then called the British Commonwealth…” 45 http://www.wcg.org/lit/prophecy/anglo/anglo3.htm

Allen, like Sandford, taught that the White Race was God’s choice to work his purpose; that Race was the basis of choice between Esau and Jacob; Ephraim and Mannaseh and the whole teaching of the lost ten tribes, and other Anglo/British Israelite fallacy. His book also presented the idea that the British royalty were of the Davidic line. 46 . . .

three_sixty

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 06:25:02 PM »

IMPERIAL BRITISH-ISRAELISM: JUSTIFICATION FOR AN EMPIRE

http://www.revneal.org/Writings/british.htm
three_sixty

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 06:32:45 PM »

http://www.adriangilbert.co.uk/docus/books/newjeru.html
three_sixty

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 03:32:27 PM »

The Non-implemented 33-Year English Protestant Calendar

http://www.hermetic.ch/cal_stud/dst01.htm

John Brockman, author, editor, publisher and founder of The Reality Club, put this question to his "The Third Culture" Mail List:

"What Is The Most Important Invention In The Past Two Thousand Years? ... and Why?"
He received more than one hundred responses, from some of the brightest people in the land, which may be read in the January 4, 1999 issue of his online magazine Edge.

One of the respondents was the astronomer Duncan Steel, who answered that the most important invention of the past two thousand years is "the non-implemented 33-year English Protestant Calendar." Here is the complete text of his answer:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me start my answer by making a few comments about the suggestions made by other correspondents, and the general premise of the specific answer I give myself.

At the time of writing many answers are already in, and so many good ideas have been aired. I don't even need to refer to the list to guess at some of them: the computer, the contraceptive pill, gunpowder, the internal combustion engine, nuclear weapons. Wait! you say. What am I suggesting, that nuclear explosions are good? Well, maybe not from the perspective of how they may be used on Earth; but from another perspective one could claim that they have been a major peacekeeping influence over the past half-century, which has been comparatively war less compared with what one might have expected given the other technologies available: jet planes, napalm, guided missiles,... Note that I wrote "one could claim" — that does not mean that I am claiming it, I am just posing an arguable position.

In the same way one could argue that the contraceptive pill, which has indeed been nominated as one of the most important inventions, is actually a bad thing. For example, we cannot know whether it has robbed us of a 21st century Einstein who would have found the way to unify the laws of physics whilst identifying a cure for cancer in her spare time.

The impossibility of knowing how the world might have been post hoc opens up various avenues of thought, like what if Hitler had never lived? (a matter explored in certain ways by Stephen Fry in his novel 'Making History'). Obviously this has a wide variety of implications with gross repercussions, especially for the Jews, Gypsies and other races which were the target of such atrocities. But for my present purposes let me sidestep such huge considerations, and instead look at some trivial ones. Suppose that you are the President of the Boston and Area Volkswagen Beetle Owners Club: you might adjudge the hypothesized nonexistence of Hitler as being most important in your life because the Beetle would never have been built.

One therefore has to think about what important means in the context of different people's lives. Right now the most important thing to a Denver Broncos fan (I write as they stand 13-0) is whether a perfect season is in the offing. Excuse me but isn't that totally insignificant to some starving child in Ethiopia; but it is the thing foremost in the mind of that Broncos fan, perhaps fatally-so: he may crash whilst driving to the next game at Mile High Stadium and lose his life, never getting to see his team romp the Superbowl again.

The outcome of my own mental perambulations on this question of the most important invention is that all the technological products, of recent years and old, would not only have been invented sooner-or-later anyway, but also they are mere applications of ideas. An idea may be important, even though it does not directly lead to an important invention with a physical reality. An idea itself I count as being an invention in the current context.

Further, how we got to where we are now is the result of many important ideas producing branching points in history. Now, one could make a case for the more distant (in history) branching points being more fundamental, because all following events depend upon them. If Alexander the Great, Charlemagne and William the Conqueror had never lived, then neither would Hitler. But that form of reasoning leads to a reductio ad absurdum.

Rather, I choose to ask: "How did we get to where we are now?" The first step needed there is to define where we are, and the answer to that is: with the USA being the powerhouse of most of the rest of the world. Thus the branching point I look to is that which made the USA a reality. I do not mean the Declaration of Independence. I mean: what made the English first go and settle the Atlantic seaboard of North America?

The answer to that provides my answer to the "Most Important Invention In The Past Two Thousand Years", but it is not original to me. The thing I am going to describe was suggested to me by Simon Cassidy, a British mathematician who lives in California.

Here is the story. When the Catholic Church (per Pope Gregory XIII) brought in the reformed calendar in 1582, they decided to use a second-best solution to the problem. Let me tell you, all Christian calendar matters hinge on the question of the Easter computus. That depends upon the time of the vernal equinox, which is ecclesiastically defined to be March 21st, although astronomically-speaking the equinox on the Gregorian calendar shifts over the 400-year leap-year cycle by 53 hours, between March 19 and 21. This follows from the long cycle time.

By far preferable from a religious perspective would be a calendar which keeps the equinox on one day, requiring a shorter cycle. Even so far back as AD 1079, Omar Khayyam had shown that an eight leap-years in 33-year cycle provides an excellent approximation to the year as measured as the time between vernal equinoxes. The advisers of Gregory XIII knew this but instead recommended the inferior 97/400 leap-year system we use, perhaps in the belief that the Protestants did not know of the better 8/33 concept.

But in England, they did. John Dee and others (Thomas Harriot and Walter Raleigh amongst them) had secretly come up with a plan to implement a 'Perfect Christian Calendar' using the 33-year cycle (the traditional lifetime of Christ). In that span there are eight four-year cycles leading to a time-of-day wander by the equinox of just below 18 hours. The problem is the one five-year cycle in each grand cycle, during which the equinox steps forward by just below six hours in each of four jumps before the following leap year pulls it back by 24 hours. The full amplitude of the movement is 23 hours and 16 minutes. To get the equinox to remain on one calendar day throughout the 33-year cycle one has to use as a prime meridian for time-keeping a longitude band which is just right, and quite narrow. It happened (in the late sixteenth century but with movement east since due to the slow-down of the Earth's spin) to be at 77 degrees west, which Cassidy terms "God's Longitude".

If you look down that meridian you will find that in the 1580s the settled areas (in the Caribbean, Peru, etc.) were under Spanish, hence Catholic, control. To grab part of God's Longitude and found a New Albion, enabling them to introduce a rival calendar — that Perfect Christian Calendar — and convert the other Christian states to the Protestant side, England mounted various expeditions which historians have since misinterpreted. In 1584-90 the so-called Lost Colony was sent to Roanoke Island, a bizarre place to attempt to start colonization but an excellent site from which to make astronomical observations to fix the longitude and thus decide how far inland New Albion should be. Similarly in 1607 the choice of Jamestown Island seems bizarre from the settlement perspective — why not out on Chesapeake Bay, and away from the attacks of the local Algonquians led by Pocahontas' father Powhatan? — but makes sense from the paramount need to grab a piece of God's Longitude. From the foothold the English managed to gain, Old Virginny grew and later other colonizers came to New England, and New Amsterdam was bought from the Dutch. But later utility/developments do not reflect the original purpose of the English coming to Roanoke Island and Jamestown Island any more than the Eiffel Tower was built to provide a mount for the many radio antennas which now festoon its apex.

After the fact the English did not reveal their prime motivation for Raleigh's American adventures and the investment in the ill-starred Jamestown colonizers, and all of this is yet to be properly teased out. But if the English had never invented their non-implemented 33-year Protestant Calendar, then the USA as it is would not exist, and all of the scientific, technological and cultural development of the world over the past couple of centuries would be quite different. In view of this I nominate that calendar, due to John Dee, as the most important invention of the past 2000 years.

three_sixty

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 08:22:26 PM »

But in England, they did. John Dee and others (Thomas Harriot and Walter Raleigh amongst them) had secretly come up with a plan to implement a 'Perfect Christian Calendar' using the 33-year cycle (the traditional lifetime of Christ). In that span there are eight four-year cycles leading to a time-of-day wander by the equinox of just below 18 hours. The problem is the one five-year cycle in each grand cycle, during which the equinox steps forward by just below six hours in each of four jumps before the following leap year pulls it back by 24 hours. The full amplitude of the movement is 23 hours and 16 minutes. To get the equinox to remain on one calendar day throughout the 33-year cycle one has to use as a prime meridian for time-keeping a longitude band which is just right, and quite narrow. It happened (in the late sixteenth century but with movement east since due to the slow-down of the Earth's spin) to be at 77 degrees west, which Cassidy terms "God's Longitude".

The reason Washington D.C. was chosen to be the capital has much to do with the fact that it falls on this longitude - 77 degrees West.

http://www.aoc.gov/cc/capitol/capitol_location.cfm

'God's Longitude'

Dr. Duncan Steel, BSc, MSc, PhD, FRAS.
Reader in Space Technology, University of Salford

Standing in for Prof Malcolm Longair, Dr Steel's lecture was one of the most remarkable of the session. His original proposal had been to talk about the calendar but his recent researches, in preparation for a new book, suggested the specific subject of 'God's Longitude'. The first part of his talk was devoted to describing, in detail, lunar motion and the idea of the calendrical month on which can be based a calendar. Historically, the Christian date of Easter was defined from the lunar cycle but the civil calendar was based on the earth's orbit around the sun. The two were slightly incompatible.

It was well known that in 1582 Pope Gregory had decreed that the calendar in the western hemisphere should be adjusted to compensate for the fact that since biblical times the Christian date of Easter, defined from the lunar cycle, had steadily drifted away from the solar Vernal Equinox, 21st March, the first day of Spring in the Northern hemisphere. After 16 centuries Easter could not be reconciled with ancient religious festivities. Even now, the exact time of Vernal equinox can fall within a span of 53 hrs, between 19th and 21st March.

The Gregorian calendar was a Catholic invention and being a Protestant country, England would not adopt it in the 16th century. There was a better alternative, not based on a four-year cycle of 365 days then one of 366 but on a 33yr calendar of 7 periods of 4yrs and one of 5yrs. This was invented by Omar Kyam and is still in use in parts of the Islamic world. It gives much better consistency in which the Vernal equinox falls within a period of 23hrs 16min on 21st March.

In the late 16th century, in Protestant ruled Elizabethan England, plans were afoot at the instigation of a group of secretive collaborators including Dr. John Dee and Sir Walter Raleigh, to introduce this 33yr calendar. But it would mean establishing a new Prime Meridian on the eastern seaboard of America, in territories that were optimistically to be called New Albion. This would be on a meridian 77degrees west of England, "God's Longitude".

http://www.mikeoates.org/mas/history/lectures/20010118.htm

Rootsie
Roots

Rootsie.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 11:47:51 PM »

"And did the Countenance Divine
Among these dark Satanic mills? "

The answer is no! Mr. Blake speaks in that poem of the gross betrayal of 'Jerusalem' by capitalist bandits.  He was sitting there at the beginning of the Industrial Revolution seeing clearly how it was all going to shake down.  His 'Jerusalem' was a mystic symbol of spiritual harmony, not a piece of real estate. William Blake was no British Zionist.  I think he is one of the rare truth-tellers in all the 'canon' of 'Western civilization.'
three_sixty

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 02:50:25 PM »

"And did the Countenance Divine
Among these dark Satanic mills? "

The answer is no! Mr. Blake speaks in that poem of the gross betrayal of 'Jerusalem' by capitalist bandits.  He was sitting there at the beginning of the Industrial Revolution seeing clearly how it was all going to shake down.  His 'Jerusalem' was a mystic symbol of spiritual harmony, not a piece of real estate. William Blake was no British Zionist.  I think he is one of the rare truth-tellers in all the 'canon' of 'Western civilization.'

*  the idea of Britain as Israel is nothing new and is documented as being part and parcel of British cultural ideas - I do think that this influenced Blake's idea of equating England with Jerusalem even if his vision was merely mystical.
Rootsie
Roots

Rootsie.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 04:10:15 PM »

Well yeah, but that idea in itself is no more sinister than the way some Rastas deal with Selassie not in his literal being but in his symbolic meaning.

On the other hand, maybe approaches to both are equally suspect...

Now that I think about it, it is another perorgative of white privilege to appropriate symbol-making as well, denying reality to things by declaring them 'symbols,' or conversely, making 'symbols' into monstrous realities.
three_sixty

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 11:19:32 PM »

Well yeah, but that idea in itself is no more sinister than the way some Rastas deal with Selassie not in his literal being but in his symbolic meaning.

On the other hand, maybe approaches to both are equally suspect...

Now that I think about it, it is another perorgative of white privilege to appropriate symbol-making as well, denying reality to things by declaring them 'symbols,' or conversely, making 'symbols' into monstrous realities.

that is an interesting point. i think the idea of Israel/Jerusalem is very much in that realm of symbolic to which any number of ideas can and have been affixed. Jerusalem = city of peace. George HW Bush reminded us that the "ever elusive goal" of world peace would have its rectification in a New World Order. And obviously war and chaos is a precursor and mean to that end according to these workers in symbolic monstrous realities.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length