Rootsie Homepage | Weblog | Tracey | Ayanna | Reasoning Forum | AmonHotep
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:09:50 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Rootsie
|-+  GENERAL
| |-+  General Board (Moderator: Rootsie)
| | |-+  Elementary, Mr. Watson?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Elementary, Mr. Watson?  (Read 5492 times)
Rootsie
Roots

Rootsie.com

View Profile WWW
« on: October 20, 2007, 01:28:49 PM »

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article2630748.ece

'...He says that he is “inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa” because “all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours – whereas all the testing says not really”, and I know that this “hot potato” is going to be difficult to address. His hope is that everyone is equal, but he counters that “people who have to deal with black employees find this not true”. He says that you should not discriminate on the basis of colour, because “there are many people of colour who are very talented, but don’t promote them when they haven’t succeeded at the lower level”. He writes that “there is no firm reason to anticipate that the intellectual capacities of peoples geographically separated in their evolution should prove to have evolved identically. Our wanting to reserve equal powers of reason as some universal heritage of humanity will not be enough to make it so”.'

Nobel scientist who sparked race row says sorry — I didn't mean it
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article2687364.ece

"...Last night, at a book launch at the Royal Society, Dr Watson withdrew the words attributed to him. “To all those who have drawn the inference from my words that Africa, as a continent, is somehow genetically inferior, I can only apologise unreservedly,” he said.

“That is not what I meant. More importantly, there is no scientific basis for such a belief.”

He claimed to be baffled at the words attributed to him by The Sunday Times Magazine. “I cannot understand how I could have said what I am quoted as having said. I can certainly understand why people reading those words have reacted in the ways they have,” he added.

A spokesman for The Sunday Times said that the interview with Dr Watson was recorded and that the newspaper stood by the story.

Dr Watson arrived in Britain yesterday to promote his latest book, Avoid Boring People: Lessons from a Life in Science.

He has courted controversy in the past, reportedly saying that a woman should have the right to abort her unborn child if tests could determine that it would be homosexual.

He has also suggested a link between skin colour and sex drive, proposing a theory that black people have higher libidos, and claimed that beauty could be genetically manufactured.

David Lammy, the Skills Minister, whose family moved to Britain from the Caribbean, said yesterday that the views expressed by Dr Watson would be seized upon by far-right organisations such as the British National Party. “It is a shame that a man with a record of scientific distinction should see his work overshadowed by his own irrational prejudices,” he said.

Mr Lammy’s statement came after the Science Museum decided to ban Dr Watson from delivering a lecture today because of his views.

British experts in intelligence and neurology last night condemned Dr Watson’s quoted views as discredited.

Baroness Greenfield, the neuroscientist and director of the Royal Institution, said: “There was a great uproar quite some time ago with a book called The Bell Curve which suggested that there were racial differences in intelligence. If Watson is citing this work, further work has found the findings not to be as simple as they implied and that there was a strong cultural factor involved.

“In any event, IQ tests can only ever be an evaluation of how good people are at IQ tests. It is a great shame that someone as distinguished as James Watson should make such comments.”

Jan Schnupp, a lecturer in neurophysiology at Oxford University, said: “No one has as yet managed to devise an intelligence test that can measure accurately how smart you are innately and Steven J. Gould's excellent book The Mismeasure of Man explains very nicely how conventional ‘intelligence testing’ invariably stacks the cards against individuals from an Afro-Caribbean cultural background.”
Rootsie
Roots

Rootsie.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 02:10:07 PM »

Once said, who cares if he tries to retract, or is 'suspended' or whatever? Everyone tries to distance themselves from him, the bad child who simply speaks what is on everybody's mind.

Why assume Africa, writ large, needs to be 'saved' if you don't also assume that Africans are incapable of 'saving' themselves? I mean gee whiz, are there no homeless, AIDs-afflicted, hungry, insuranceless in the good ole U.S.A? Why not embark on a high-minded crusade to 'save' them?

Sick sick sick with its sickness is the West. How SICK is Oprah Winfrey with her school for girls in South Africa and whatnot, Oprah and all these bestowers of largesse who are too stupid or too scared or too hoodwinked to question why the people of South Africa are worse off now than they were in the bad old days. Everybody wants to say they're friends with Nelson Mandela, and nobody wants to talk about how the hopes of a people were dashed when their leader allowed himself to be subverted. The one in Africa who fought and won his country's freedom, who was not FREED at a convenient time by interests who only care about the best way of doing business in Africa, and who refuses 'humanitarian aid' and 'restructuring' by the same murderers of humanity and economic and political sanity in Africa, Robert Mugabe, is painted as the Devil himself.

Same old same old...'science' co-opted to make the great game go. And nobody wants to talk about this.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length